What it's all about

Rummaging through life's couch cushions for topics in the law, economics, sports, stats, and technology

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

On Confidence

I remember about ten years ago watching an interview with Kid Rock. Now, I loathe Kid Rock and his hyper produced derivative rap-metal meme, but this interview grabbed me. It must have, as I still remember it today.

Actually, I remember only one thing from the interview. The interviewer asked him, if you weren't a rock star, what would you have done for a living? He replied [and I'm paraphrasing], "I would have been a rock star. No matter what it took. I always knew I was going to make this happen."

That confidence is remarkable. And because Kid Rock did become a rock star, it's tempting to say that this confidence is what enabled him to accomplish his dream. He didn't hedge his bets. He didn't let day jobs distract him. He was utterly consumed with a dream. And he got there. It doesn't matter that Kid Rock isn't that talented, and perhaps it's because of his mediocrity that this confidence was important.

It's a bit circular though. You need singular dedication and obsessive self belief to make it as a rock star. Kid Rock had that. Therefore, Kid Rock made it.

Sadly, that dedication and self belief is a necessary but not sufficient condition to stardom. Because there are lots of folks with that belief, but few who attain the prize. There are legions of unknown wanna-be Kid Rockers wandering around, disheartened and confused, and despite singular dedication and obsessive self belief, they never made it.

Personally, I don't have that kind of confidence. I'm inclined to consider a fuller range of possibilities. I could become a rock star. Or, I could get hit by an asteroid. I could get a desk job. Or, I could become a struggling artist who spends my life trying to achieve artistic renown, but failing. I could be mediocre. I could be above average. Meh.

And so I have hedged my bets. I didn't pursue my dreams all the way. I was once a poor writer, but after a year or two of failing to make much of a living, I got more stable jobs. This allowed me to live a better life, but I never pursued the dream to the fullest. Writers (more or less) in my age bracket, such as Klosterman, Simmons, and Will Leitch, stuck with it, despite the odds. But so did thousands of others toiling in obscurity, living on a pittance, each day knowing that they did not achieve the dream either, despite giving up everything to get there.

It's hard to know whether you have that talent unless you dedicate yourself singularly to that pursuit. But there are many more who try than those who succeed.

I'm not unhappy with the choices I've made. But part of me wonders if I was a bit more like Kid Rock, what would have happened.

6 comments:

  1. Talent + dedication = success. There does seem to be a wild, random element missing from that equation, that's a bit like the tried-and-true joke from the Roadrunner cartoons, where you don't fall off the cliff if you don't know there's no ground beneath you.

    It's not quite naivety and it's not quite apathy, but many of the people I see who are able to pursue "the dream" in spite of all common sense seem to have some kind of special relationship with said common sense. Like certain rules about what you need to do to make your way through life, they just never heard, or are blithely content to never ever think about. And because of that, the enforcers of those rules seem to leave them alone.

    It's that x-factor I envy in such folk, perhaps even more than any of their resultant success. I would love to be less weighted down by dogmatic thoughts than I typically am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Roadrunner quote. Never heard that before.

    I'm not sure I'm weighed by dogmatic thoughts. Just pragmatic thoughts. If I dedicate myself fully to a craft (writing, music, or tiddlywinks), perhaps I will succeed. But if I dedicate myself partially to those crafts, while working a job that provides me a decent lifestyle (at least for the moment), I will enjoy my life, at least partially. It's an expected value calculation where the odds of dedication failing to pay off are high, keeping me from taking a flier on a more ambitious artistic lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not really a quote, the Roadrunner thing, just a bit that would always happen. The Roadrunner could always sail through the traps in his path just by virtue of not knowing they existed.

    The thing that trips me up is that I don't even know how to pursue the pure artistic lifestyle without having a job that provides me with disposable income. That's the thing that eludes me, and I still can't find the proper balance. Whenever I've been jobless, I've thought, "Great, now I can pursue all those creative things full-bore." And immediately it was, "Hmm, but I can't afford to get my guitar restrung, or buy a new microphone, or get some film-editing equipment, or rent a theatre space, or create a website to promote anything I make, or ..."

    Then when I have a job and can afford that stuff, I start thinking about how I should just save up instead, in case in the future I hit another bout of unemployed-ness.

    I hate my brain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I don't hate your brain.

    You play guitar now?

    ReplyDelete
  5. A little bit, yeah.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEBE7LUcH8A

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCGkspw1ZZk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice. You picked it up pretty quickly, it appears. Maybe one day I'll put something on YouTube. But probably not.

    ReplyDelete