What it's all about

Rummaging through life's couch cushions for topics in the law, economics, sports, stats, and technology

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Occasional occasions

I don't care about who wins the Super Bowl. I don't care about the football. I hope that both teams lose. I don't understand why Green Bay still has a professional sports team. The pomp and pageantry make a Thanksgiving Day Parade look understated and minimalist. The damned thing takes forever. It's a violent sport that gives its participants brain damage in droves. That may be a blessing in disguise, though, because, at least in my experience, the vast majority of football players are brutish, uninteresting people (with some wonderful exceptions).

I prefer to watch with the sound off during the game and the sound on during the commercials.

But, still, I'm looking forward to it. A lot.

It's some of the best people watching this country has to offer. Americans eat like hell. We're materialistic and easily tricked. Our consumer culture dominates everything we are and do. It's facile melodrama with no substance - something Americans have talent portraying. And it's on full display Sunday. In fluorescent lights.

For me, it's theater of the absurd. So I'm going to drink a lot on Sunday and have fun.

Go team!

No comments:

Post a Comment